501 S. Cherry St.
Glendale, CO 80246
6979 S. Holly Circle
Centennial, CO 80112
Monday - Thursday
7am – 5pm
7am – 4pm
Nitrous Oxide (Laughing Gas)
Nitrous oxide, commonly referred to as laughing gas is a sweet-smelling, non-irritating, colorless gas which is administered to you through an oxygen mask. It has safely been used in dentistry for many years to help sedate and relax fearful patients. The patient receives 50-70% oxygen with the balance being nitrous oxide. During the procedure, you are able to breathe on your own and remain in control of all bodily functions. You might experience mild amnesia, and not remember the details of your appointment if you fall asleep. Listed below are some of the advantages of using nitrous during your procedure.
- The depth of the sedation can be adjusted at any time
- The sedation can be increased or decreased as needed
- There is no after effect like a "hangover"
- Inhalation sedation has no side effects on your heart and lungs, etc.
- Inhalation sedation is beneficial in minimizing gagging
If you have emphysema, lung problems, Multiple Sclerosis, a cold or other breathing difficulties, you might not be a candidate for Nitrous Oxide. If you have questions, please discuss them with Dr. Murdoch before your appointment so we may address all medical issues and answer your questions.